The cryptocurrency space is full of stories about certain investors, usually the biggest ones, who made fortunes from their investments in more speculative assets like memecoins. These examples tend to attract jealousy and some resentment from less fortunate market participants.
Today, however, we will take a look at the other side of this coin.
- A few years ago, it was Dogecoin. So, it was Shiba Inu. This year, at least for now, the massive explosion of memecoins has come from the hand of PEPE.
- Shortly after its release in April, multiple millionaire stories surfaced overnight, including this one. In it, a savvy investor turned $27 into $1 million after taking advantage of the PEPE mania.
- However, not everything is roses and rainbows. Lookonchain shared data about an NFT whale, under the name @sighduck, that hasn’t been as successful investing in memecoins.
- According to the on-chain analytics provider, said whale has lost a total of $147,000 worth of ETH so far this month across various memecoins.
- Perhaps even more painful, some of them, like BREAK and BEN, shot up to 85 times after the whale sold his portions.
- The controversy surrounding PSYOP has also impacted the whale. They sent 5 ETH to ben.eth, which could be a blatant scam, according to ZachXBT, and received 8.9 million PSYOPs. However, the whale “may feel cheated,” and they sold everything at no loss or gain.
- However, PSYOP, despite being an alleged scam, increased fivefold after @sighduck sold his position. Perhaps sensing some form of FOMO, the whale “spent 60 ETH to buy PSYOP and sold after 10 minutes with no loss and no profit, probably worried about getting scammed again.”
2/ The first token @sighduck bought was $TURBO and lost 24 $ETH ($46,313).
He bought $TURBO to $0.0004915 on May 4, and sold all $TURBO to $0.0002525 due to the price drop a day later.
and the price of $TURBO it shot up 10 times after it sold. pic.twitter.com/n2ddamVDpl
— Lookonchain (@lookonchain) May 26, 2023
Binance Free $100 (Exclusive) – Use this link to sign up to receive $100 free and 10% off your first month’s fees for Binance Futures (terms).
PrimeXBT Special Offer: Use this link to sign up and enter the code CRYPTOPOTATO50 to receive up to $7,000 on your deposits.